Daily devotionals really are a favorite of mine. For me, devotions help me to maintain a life of discipline. They help me to set aside a time in my day to get my eyes off of myself (what is going on in my life) and focus on Jesus.
I wish I could say that I am faithful in sticking with a plan every single day but I am not. I do try my best though to get back on track when life takes me in a different direction. And because I usually have a devotional plan in place, it is so easy to go right back to where I left off.
Tips for a Devotional Life:
- Find a time of day that works for you.
- Focus on quality time vs. quantity time.
- Choose devotionals that are designed to fit your personality.
- Be open to God leading you in a different direction (for example, God may ask you to spend your entire devotional time in prayer rather than reading).
- Start somewhere, even if you only set aside 5 minutes a day.
- Set goals for your devotional time (for example, that 5 minutes you started with could turn into 30 minutes).
- Be creative and have fun!! We are more apt to stick to a plan when it is fun. Believe it or not, God loves fun (He is the Creator of everything good)!
Be sure to check out the devotions that I have on this site.