These past few weeks have been quite interesting! I mentioned in my last post that I had sinus surgery. And while, I am still recovering, I am sort of disappointed with the results so far. Going in, I was expecting somewhat of a quick miracle. What I have experienced so far, is a process! For those who know me, I don’t like processes! I kind of want things to be done quickly. As you can imagine, my emotions have been all over the place!
Most of us do a pretty good job of caring for our physical health. When we are sick, we are good about taking medication or even going to the doctor. But, when was the last time we took a good long look at our emotional health?
We are emotional beings….some of us are a little more emotional than others (clears throat). Emotions can be tricky. They can make us shine and draw others to us. Emotions can also cause us to overreact or even act out of character. Emotions play a huge part in our physical health. For example, some people are emotional eaters and eat when they are stressed or overwhelmed. This can pack on unwanted pounds.
From being sad…..to depressed….to happy….to angry…..emotions drive us every single day. Therefore, we need to ‘check our emotional health’ every single day! Sometimes, all we have to do is ‘get our minds made up’ so our emotions can follow!
Tips for Managing Emotional Health:
- Find what triggers negative emotions (for example, if morning traffic brings out the “worst you”, leave a few minutes early or play worship music).
- Plan ahead (this can be as simple as planning for a busy week or saving for a rainy day).
- Get those negative emotions out (journal, pray, confide in a trusted friend or spiritual leader).
- Be realistic (of what you can handle and even expectations of others).
- Meditate and combat negative emotions with scripture.
- Exercise!! Exercise has been shown to be a great stress reliever and mood booster.